In recognition of outstanding achievement, West Virginia University (WVU) will provide a scholarship to first-time freshmen who have achieved the highest levels of honor or leadership within nationally acclaimed organizations determined to be eligible for inclusion by WVU beginning with the 2013 fall semester.
- Incoming freshmen who have a high school GPA of 3.0 or better and an ACT composite of at least 21 or combined SAT Critical Reading and Math scores of 990/New SAT of 1070, will be awarded a $500 scholarship annually for up to 4 academic years (total of $2,000) while enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student on the main campus in Morgantown. Please note that SAT score has been adjusted to reflect test results from the new SAT test, first given in March 2016.
- The award will be in addition to any other scholarship offered through the WVU Scholars Program.
- The student must submit verification of status attainment (i.e.Certificate, letter of proof) to the WVU Undergraduate Scholarship Office. The information may be scanned and emailed to WVULeadershipScholarship@mail.wvu.edu or faxed to 304.293.4544. Please include the student name, WVU ID#, and date of birth with the information you send. The deadline date to have any information submitted for consideration is August 1.
- Students may renew the scholarship by having a minimum GPA of 2.75 after each academic year. Students are also required to earn a minimum of 30 credit hours each year.
Organizations may submit a request and appropriate documentation for consideration to be included as a recognized organization/society to the Enrollment Management Office at West Virginia University.
Currently recognized organizations and levels:
- Boy Scouts of America* – Eagle Scout Rank
- Girl Scouts of the USA – Gold Award
- 4-H – selected by home state to be a delegate to the National 4-H Congress
or in WV, received a charting pin
- Civil Air Patrol – Amelia Earhart Award
- Boys and Girls Nation – Be selected and attend